A few years ago, I unearthed a travel journal from a month-long trip to Europe that I took in 2006. As I reviewed its pages, I was struck by just how many details of the trip I had completely forgotten. And if the memories of a once-in-a lifetime trip that was so impactful to me could fade away – how much of my day-to-day life is lost? Sensations, emotions, achievements, losses, experiences from the mundane to the exceptional, all transforming from that specific moment in time to become that day, that week, that year, that life…

As I get older and gain a better understanding of how fragile, how brief, and how precious life really is, it's become even more important to me to me experience it to its fullest and to try to retain all of those little moments that might otherwise get lost. It's with this idea that I started the process of recording these moments – a travel journal, of sorts.

A travel journal for life.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

ME AND MY SPARKLY NEW AURA



·        Clean sheets
·        Clean bathroom
·        Clean hair
·        Clean underoos. 

I think we can all agree that we are (collectively) better off when certain things in our lives are clean.  But it had never before occurred to me to be concerned with the cleanliness of my aura.

I’m not fantastic at handling stress and most times when I’m under a great deal of pressure, it tends to physically manifest.  Colds, headaches, hair loss, muscle tension, etc.  The past couple of months being as they were, one can imagine, I haven’t been exceptionally delightful. Among other things, I developed an eye-twitch that lasted for three solid weeks.  My beautiful co-workers/friends took pity on me and out of the goodness of their hearts (or perhaps their will to shut me up about the damned incessant twitch) booked me a hot-stone massage.  (Ahhh, how I adore them.)

When I arrived for my massage, my masseuse seemed immediately concerned about me; my stress level was high and my aura was off, she informed me.  I nodded in agreement.

She asked if I minded if she performed some “aura-cleansing” during our session and I told her to knock herself out.  Which she very nearly did because as soon as I gave her the green light on the aura-cleanse from my comfy position underneath the blankets, she treated me to animated display of flailing hands. She spun around the room dramatically; “I’m just going to crack the door for a second to let all of the negative energy out of the room” she informed me as she whirled towards the door.  “K.” I squeaked out, wide-eyed and stifling giggles.  (I never knew you could give negative energy the bum’s rush like that.)

The remainder of the massage was a standard-issue procedure, peppered with the occasional flicking of hands close to, but not actually touching, my body.  Every time she did this, it triggered instant laughter that I had to repress because I was having a relaxing massage, after all.

After I was dressed and ready to head home, the masseuse came in with a glass of water.  She informed me that she did quite a bit of work on my aura.  “I noticed.” I said, nodding and taking a drink of water to try to stifle the laughter swelling in my throat.  She immediately brightened at my response and asked with excitement “then you can tell a difference?” “Mmmm” I said as I pressed my lips together and opened my eyes wide.  (This is the expression I make when a response is required of me but I either don’t know what to say or what I actually want to say is inappropriate.  Now you know.)  The masseuse, thankfully satisfied with my response, traced her hands around the outline of my head and shoulders and nodded “Well, your aura is in much better shape now than when you came in, that’s for sure.” I thanked her for her time and her aura-cleansing expertise and made a hasty exit to the street where I finally was able to let the laughter free.

Despite the pouring rain and the chill in the air, I indulged in my giggle-fit all the way to my car. That’s when it hit me… I haven’t laughed like that in quite some time.  And I had to wonder; was my laughter really because I’m a skeptic and I found the whole process ridiculous or might it be that giggling is the product of a clean aura?

Hmmm…  Something to consider. 

Perhaps my aura could use at least the occasional spring-clean.
Me and my sparkly new aura.

No comments:

Post a Comment