A few years ago, I unearthed a travel journal from a month-long trip to Europe that I took in 2006. As I reviewed its pages, I was struck by just how many details of the trip I had completely forgotten. And if the memories of a once-in-a lifetime trip that was so impactful to me could fade away – how much of my day-to-day life is lost? Sensations, emotions, achievements, losses, experiences from the mundane to the exceptional, all transforming from that specific moment in time to become that day, that week, that year, that life…

As I get older and gain a better understanding of how fragile, how brief, and how precious life really is, it's become even more important to me to me experience it to its fullest and to try to retain all of those little moments that might otherwise get lost. It's with this idea that I started the process of recording these moments – a travel journal, of sorts.

A travel journal for life.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

I LOVE YOU, I’M JUST NOT in LOVE WITH YOU…



Fall.  

Everyone always gets so stinkin’ excited about fall.  “Ooooh,” everyone says, “pumpkin lattes, fuzzy socks, and boots, I can’t wait!” But I rail against it every year because you know what pumpkin lattes, fuzzy socks, and boots indicate to me?  Cold.  That’s right, icy-fingers, numb-butt, cold. And I. Don’t. Want. It.  Trust me, you’ll be gagging on pumpkin and lusting for sandals three weeks into winter.

Fall staples: Pumpkin beer and football.
The individual qualities of fall, I truly do enjoy:  Crisp, cool, sunny days? Yup, delightful. Pumpkin flavored breads, coffees, and beers? Yuuuummmm. Leather boots and tights?  Some of my most favorite fashion accessories.  Halloween parties and football?  Bring ‘em.

It’s more about what fall represents that I detest.  The end of summer.  The onset of cold, gloomy, winter.  Plus, fall is fleeting - fall is a tease.  It’s like a two-week delightful experience before all hell breaks loose and ruins your life for five months.

Fall is like ‘that’ guy to me. You know, the one who had all the right qualities on paper, the one who was super good to you, who you liked a whole-whole lot and even felt love for, but just never quite fell completely in love with because something felt wrong - you could just foresee something not quite right in the future…

So, it’s like that, fall.  I love you, I’m just not IN love with you.

I only give up sandals and accept boots when the anticipated high is 40.
Self-soothing with pumpkin beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment