A few years ago, I unearthed a travel journal from a month-long trip to Europe that I took in 2006. As I reviewed its pages, I was struck by just how many details of the trip I had completely forgotten. And if the memories of a once-in-a lifetime trip that was so impactful to me could fade away – how much of my day-to-day life is lost? Sensations, emotions, achievements, losses, experiences from the mundane to the exceptional, all transforming from that specific moment in time to become that day, that week, that year, that life…

As I get older and gain a better understanding of how fragile, how brief, and how precious life really is, it's become even more important to me to me experience it to its fullest and to try to retain all of those little moments that might otherwise get lost. It's with this idea that I started the process of recording these moments – a travel journal, of sorts.

A travel journal for life.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

TAKE THAT!

At some point late last year, I mentioned in passing to Michael, that I really liked the look of white ceramic watches, and I would love to have one.  This became his mission, and every time we were near a jewelry store or department store that might carry watches, he insisted that we go in to see if they have a watch that I like.  (Notice how I make it sound like that was some kind of hardship for me). 
This mission did prove to be more difficult than I expected though; they were all too small, too jewel encrusted, not ceramic, too expensive, etc.  Then one day, we found ourselves in Nordstrom’s at the jewelry counter and there it was; the perfect white watch.  It was made of smooth ceramic, with no extraneous jewels, bold rose gold accents and a skeleton face.  The lovely saleslady slipped it on my wrist and (just as she knew I would) I loved the way it felt; smooth, cool, and heavy on my wrist.  It felt like luxury.
“How much” I asked tentatively.
I had already prepared myself for not being able to afford it.  It was an Invicta, it was gorgeous, and I was in Nordstrom’s, for God’s sake.
“$1600” she replied nonchalantly.
I was prepared to hear hundreds over my price range; I was not prepared for thousands. The shock resonated from my toes, up my spine, and to my wrist which began to shake in the saleslady’s direction.
“Take it off” I practically shouted.
She hesitated and looked confused.  I shook it in her direction again and insisted “Take it off!”
She slid it off and back into its cushy locked case as Mike and I walked away wordlessly. 
That was the last day we looked for white watches.
Flash forward, approximately 6 months later.  I happened to be cruising ideeli, one of my favorite sample sale/designer discount websites when I noticed “women’s ceramic watch sale” emblazoned across their home page.  It couldn’t hurt to look, I figured.  Maybe they will have a white one.  And they did, they had several white watches.  Not only that, but all the way at the bottom of the page, there it was - THE white watch; the one that broke my heart 6 months prior – the price underneath it said $1500 $130.
That’s right, $130. I could hardly breathe.  I immediately called Michael and spluttered into the phone “The watch, the white watch, the one from Nordy’s, it’s for sale, it’s online, it’s $130 dollars, I can’t breath.” Without missing a beat, he said, “well, BUY it!”
And I did.
For four weeks I’ve been patiently awaiting its delivery and today, it arrived.  It’s every bit as smooth and cool and beautiful as I remember and I didn’t have to take out a small personal loan to buy it. 
Take that, Nordstrom’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment