A few years ago, I unearthed a travel journal from a month-long trip to Europe that I took in 2006. As I reviewed its pages, I was struck by just how many details of the trip I had completely forgotten. And if the memories of a once-in-a lifetime trip that was so impactful to me could fade away – how much of my day-to-day life is lost? Sensations, emotions, achievements, losses, experiences from the mundane to the exceptional, all transforming from that specific moment in time to become that day, that week, that year, that life…

As I get older and gain a better understanding of how fragile, how brief, and how precious life really is, it's become even more important to me to me experience it to its fullest and to try to retain all of those little moments that might otherwise get lost. It's with this idea that I started the process of recording these moments – a travel journal, of sorts.

A travel journal for life.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

PRIDE 2012

Columbus Pride Weekend draws over 200,000 people each year.  
This year, Robb and I were among them.
  
We managed to find a spot in the masses along the parade route to view the 2.5 hour long spectacle in the 90+ degree blazing sun.  The number and the good nature of all of the revelers was just astounding, especially considering the heat.  It was awesome to be surrounded by so much positive energy.  And even though we  heard rumors of protesters outside the festivities, and though a few even made their way into the parade, the message of the day was, overwhelmingly, one of love.  Drag queens, gay flag teams, burlesque performers, churches waving banners proclaiming "God loves everyone!", people and groups of all sorts and types joined together in a giant celebration of individuality and acceptance.  

It was a beautiful thing.  
I was proud to be a part of it.
Cher and her boys, representin'.
The "Flaggits".  Awesome.
 

Miss Gypsy USA
Bat N' Rouge - Drag Queen Softball Team



Pride 2012 Spirit!

Jim's T, a father's day gift from his daughters, was the hit of the day!




No comments:

Post a Comment