A few years ago, I unearthed a travel journal from a month-long trip to Europe that I took in 2006. As I reviewed its pages, I was struck by just how many details of the trip I had completely forgotten. And if the memories of a once-in-a lifetime trip that was so impactful to me could fade away – how much of my day-to-day life is lost? Sensations, emotions, achievements, losses, experiences from the mundane to the exceptional, all transforming from that specific moment in time to become that day, that week, that year, that life…

As I get older and gain a better understanding of how fragile, how brief, and how precious life really is, it's become even more important to me to me experience it to its fullest and to try to retain all of those little moments that might otherwise get lost. It's with this idea that I started the process of recording these moments – a travel journal, of sorts.

A travel journal for life.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

LOVELY WEDNESDAY LUNCH

What an absolutely beautiful day this was; blue skies with hardly a cloud to be seen, warm breeze and zero humidity.  Unfortunately, I was only catching glimpses of the loveliness as I passed the windows on my trips from my desk to the coffee-maker.  After 5-6 glimpses (yep, those were all coffee runs - before noon) I decided that I had to get out there. At lunch time, I gathered up my lunch and a blanket and I headed out to the park.

Craig Street
The Museums from Shenley Park
Admittedly, there are few things that I love about my work.  But the physical location, is definitely one of them.  Oakland, especially in the summer, is really beautiful.  I love all of the little eateries on Craig Street and being in such close proximity to both the museums and a park is a great perk.
Schenley Park
As I walked into the park, I heard music coming from the Pavillion.

It turned out that there was live music during the lunch hour.  I bought myself a fresh lemonade from a vendor, grabbed a table, and enjoyed my sushi lunch, all while being serenaded in the summer breeze. 

Not bad for a boring old Wednesday lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment