A few years ago, I unearthed a travel journal from a month-long trip to Europe that I took in 2006. As I reviewed its pages, I was struck by just how many details of the trip I had completely forgotten. And if the memories of a once-in-a lifetime trip that was so impactful to me could fade away – how much of my day-to-day life is lost? Sensations, emotions, achievements, losses, experiences from the mundane to the exceptional, all transforming from that specific moment in time to become that day, that week, that year, that life…

As I get older and gain a better understanding of how fragile, how brief, and how precious life really is, it's become even more important to me to me experience it to its fullest and to try to retain all of those little moments that might otherwise get lost. It's with this idea that I started the process of recording these moments – a travel journal, of sorts.

A travel journal for life.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

BASEBALL AND BOYZ


That's right baby, Boyz II Men.
Mike and I never really celebrated our anniversary this year, our schedules just never quite matched up.  We've also recently been discussing attending a baseball game soon.  Neither of us are baseball fans, but the Pittsburgh stadium is really lovely and it makes for quite a nice evening out.  So when I saw a Groupon for a game and a night’s lodging in a downtown hotel, it seemed perfect - this could be our belated anniversary weekend.

I was pretty excited about the whole idea, but when I went on the Pirates website to claim our tickets, my excitement went through roof.  Saturday’s game was part of the concert series, which means that the game is followed by a concert.  Guess who the scheduled performer was??? Just guess…
The 16 year old in me was totally freaking out and I called Mike immediately to share the thrilling news.  His response? 

It was a spectacular day.
A nonchalant, “Oh, cool.”

“HOW ARE YOU NOT EXCITED BY THIS??”  I was incredulous. 
“Babe, you KNOW they’re old men now, right?  They HAVE aged and they weren’t that great to begin with – only one of them could really sing”.   
"PSHHHHH..."  My enthusiasm refused to be quelled.
Saturday night arrived and we happily checked into our hotel downtown and headed out to spend some time on the North Shore having dinner before going to the game. 
So, here’s the thing about baseball games:  Attending them is a lot more fun in theory than in practice.  Baseball games are long. And not terribly exciting at all.
Also, we had to sit in the outfield.
I guess that's what buying last minute tickets on Groupon gets ya. 
It was really pretty, though.
It’s too bad that I forget about that bit EVERY YEAR and become mesmerized by the twinkly lights, the Kelly green field, and the boys in uniforms long enough to think that it seems fun.  Then the 3+ hours of hard seats and drunken buffoons bring me back to reality. 

It was all worth it though, because immediately following the game, there they were. Boyz II Men.  And with the 1st song, I was transported back in time - I was immediately an emotional teenage girl again, daydreaming of her secret crush, or awkwardly slow dancing in the school gym.
“Tell me can we go back to the days our love was strong? Can you tell me how a perfect love goes wrong? Can somebody tell me how you get things back the way it used to be - Oh God give me the reason, I'm down on bended knees.”
There’s just no denying it.  That’s powerful stuff.  A stadium full of teary-eyed, 30-40 something women, swaying back and forth, and singing at the top of their lungs can’t be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment