A few years ago, I unearthed a travel journal from a month-long trip to Europe that I took in 2006. As I reviewed its pages, I was struck by just how many details of the trip I had completely forgotten. And if the memories of a once-in-a lifetime trip that was so impactful to me could fade away – how much of my day-to-day life is lost? Sensations, emotions, achievements, losses, experiences from the mundane to the exceptional, all transforming from that specific moment in time to become that day, that week, that year, that life…

As I get older and gain a better understanding of how fragile, how brief, and how precious life really is, it's become even more important to me to me experience it to its fullest and to try to retain all of those little moments that might otherwise get lost. It's with this idea that I started the process of recording these moments – a travel journal, of sorts.

A travel journal for life.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

ALL ABOUT THE BOGOS

YARD SALE DAY!! I prepped and planned for days and finally, yard sale day arrived.
Yard sale ambassadors, Sean & Sheldon.
A 6:00 a.m. wake-up on a Sunday is never any fun; less-so when you have just received your long-awaited dream bed the evening prior. But I hauled myself up, grabbed my bag of dollar bills and quarters, and headed over to Sean’s with my final load of junk for sale. We unloaded furniture, merchandized our wares, had our first customers - as well as our first few sales - all before 8:30 a.m.
Between me, Sean, and Sean’s new puppy, Sheldon, we managed to field every strange request (no, we do not have any green pizzelle makers, aluminum gliders or antique microphones, sorry) and have a successful sale.
BOGO-BOGO, everything must go!
Our success largely hinged on Sean’s decision to start a buy-one-get-one (BOGO) sale on his picture frames. As the sun rose higher in the sky, the BOGO’s increased exponentially; handbags, jewelry, artwork, floppy hats, tables, all BOGO.  We also became much more vocal as the day wore on; Sean cried out to passers-by “BOGO, BOGO, BOGO…” followed by me shrieking “EVERYTHING MUST GO!!” as we dissolved into laughter.  In reality, we probably frightened off just as many potential customers with our crazy as we drew in with the BOGO… but, hey, it was fun.
Around 4:00 p.m. we decided to call it quits, Mike came to collect me and the few items that didn’t sell. Since he had never believed that anyone would buy my “junk” and kind-of insinuated that I might be a tad foolish for putting so much work into this yard sale, he was incredulous when I hopped into the car with only a few items left and a huge wad of cash.  I took him out to dinner with my some of my “winnins” and his view on yard sales has totally shifted.  He now wonders how much we could “get” for every item in our house.
I told him…  It’s all about the BOGOS.
On our way home, we even saw a double rainbow - day for BOGOS, indeed!



No comments:

Post a Comment