A few years ago, I unearthed a travel journal from a month-long trip to Europe that I took in 2006. As I reviewed its pages, I was struck by just how many details of the trip I had completely forgotten. And if the memories of a once-in-a lifetime trip that was so impactful to me could fade away – how much of my day-to-day life is lost? Sensations, emotions, achievements, losses, experiences from the mundane to the exceptional, all transforming from that specific moment in time to become that day, that week, that year, that life…

As I get older and gain a better understanding of how fragile, how brief, and how precious life really is, it's become even more important to me to me experience it to its fullest and to try to retain all of those little moments that might otherwise get lost. It's with this idea that I started the process of recording these moments – a travel journal, of sorts.

A travel journal for life.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

A SUNDAY STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE

My friend Sean has invited me to participate in his big neighborhood (Highland Park) yard sale on June 2nd.  I’m so excited about this, for one, because anything with Sean is always a good time, but also because I have accumulated an alarming amount of crap in my teeny tiny house over the years. Since this annual yard sale is famous for being very highly trafficked, it provides a perfect opportunity to clear things out and maybe make a little cash!  I’ve been making a valiant effort to work a little bit each day on organizing things and picking things out for sale and yesterday I came across a basket full of old pictures, mostly from my early 20s and boy-oh-boy, were there some gems!  I didn’t get much organizing for the sale done, but I sure did laugh.

Me and Jess - Circa 1997
 Super cute of us, right?  As Jess said, “so young and full of hope.”

The more important thing about this photo, though, is that it’s hard evidence. Evidence of the fact that I did, indeed, wear overalls in the late 90’s - something that I had sworn that I never-ever did and even went so far as to mercilessly make fun of my friends who were admitted overall-wearers.  (Sorry, Natalie.)  Busted.


Me and Wode - Circa 2001
 
This is a “night out” photo.  One of those nights that I look back on now and think “how, oh how, did I have the stamina for that?” and probably got up for work the next day, too!  Those were the days.
The funny thing about this photo is, that while the red-red lip gloss looks normal in this picture, I remember going into the restroom at the end of the night to find that it had smeared and was covering half of my face.  It had apparently been that way for quite some time and none of my friends bothered to share that information with me.  Red-red lip gloss, folks – it ain’t for amateurs. Busted again.

Robb - Circa 2002
There are no good stories about this picture.  It’s just one of my all-time faves of my Robbie. 

Bruddah and me - Circa baby face
And then there’s this – because OMG.  How adorbs are we?  Clearly this is before birds began to freak me completely out.

The end.

1 comment: