A few years ago, I unearthed a travel journal from a month-long trip to Europe that I took in 2006. As I reviewed its pages, I was struck by just how many details of the trip I had completely forgotten. And if the memories of a once-in-a lifetime trip that was so impactful to me could fade away – how much of my day-to-day life is lost? Sensations, emotions, achievements, losses, experiences from the mundane to the exceptional, all transforming from that specific moment in time to become that day, that week, that year, that life…

As I get older and gain a better understanding of how fragile, how brief, and how precious life really is, it's become even more important to me to me experience it to its fullest and to try to retain all of those little moments that might otherwise get lost. It's with this idea that I started the process of recording these moments – a travel journal, of sorts.

A travel journal for life.

Friday, May 11, 2012

GOOD TIPS

I talk to my mom on the phone almost every afternoon after work.  Inevitably, during our conversations, she tells me about something she saw on Dr. Oz at some point during the week.  “You really should watch, Jen… he has good tips sometimes.”  The problem is, that I can’t STAND Dr. Oz, but after about the fifth time we had this same conversation, I broke down and DVR’d several episodes that looked promising.  I zoomed through the episodes in one sitting (since I kept my finger on FF through the majority of it) and deemed most of it useless.  However, I watched one segment about how to gain more energy (something that I desperately need), which featured a woman named Kimberly Snyder, author of The Beauty Detox, who shared 4 different beverages geared, not only to increase energy, but to make you beautiful.  And since there are few better motivators for me than the promise of energy and beauty (mostly beauty), I rushed right out and got the ingredients for the beverages.
I’ve managed to integrate some of the beverages into my daily routine – my most enjoyable is a cup of ginger and cayenne tea first thing in the morning.  Dr. Oz and Kimberly suggest using fresh ginger, but I use Yogi tea.  It’s much easier and it comes with lovely words of wisdom that start my day off on the right note.
So while I’m not likely to tune in to Dr. Oz again, it turns out that mom is right, he does have some good tips sometimes.  And so does Yogi Tea.  Today’s nugget:  “Delight the world with compassion, kindness and grace.”  Something to strive for, indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment